Tuesday, September 21, 2010

NO INTERNET

Hola Amigos! I am so sorry that I haven't had a post up in awhile. I was in a town with no internet service and then the internet company was doing maintenance on the wireless so it cut in and out for a few days. But back in business now! Over the weekend we went to a really isolated town, called Camosaguya (sp?) There was a big festival and parade. The “town” was more or less a village. No banks, super markets, malls, or anything other than small shops and a small market. We stayed at a friend’s of Annabelle’s and their house was beautiful along with a gorgeous view, some of the pictures show you. The parade actually was like the ones that go through Bothell and ones I have seen before except for the people were displaying the origins of their ancestors. So the costumes were different and some really pretty. In the morning, I took a walk and drunk guys were passed out EVERYWHERE. Sad...but pretty funny. Some were trying to get up and they would stand up and basically fall right back over again, you can't help but to laugh! I walked to the Swiss Village, which was a neighborhood that was built by a man from Switzerland who married an El Salvadorian woman. He moved here and decided to build a neighborhood using the style of architecture from his country. It’s a beautiful neighborhood with high A top roofs, amazing gardens, just breathtaking. The culture is starting to grow on me more and more. My ears are starting to adapt to the language, so I hear more words than it just sounding like "jisufodjsfhudsfoeyjgkfdgijfdrsdfd". This country really takes your heart; the people are so welcoming and friendly. You never feel excluded. Aside from being dangerous…I can see why people would never want to leave.







Today, I’m back in Juyoua. For the next few weeks I have to start monitoring the crop growth in a few different plants. It’s more complicated than it seems living on a farm! It’s been raining like hell here which is preventing the lettuce to grow because there is less sunlight and too much rain drowns them. They have to cover the lettuce so they won’t drown which continues to restrict sun. The fertilizer that is used is getting pushed past the roots from excess rain so it’s not benefiting the plant at all. As Annabella told me, “Mother nature is a bitch and sometimes your best friend.” It’s true though, there whole business rests on weather.

This weekend I am going to get to see the coast. A friend has a house on the beach and I'm so excited to finally go. Everyone is telling me how beautiful the beach is and the water is great...hope there is no seaweed, NO ME GUSTA! I'll take lots of pictures!


P.S
The pizza hut here is a million times better than any pizza hut I have ever had in the states. It was shocking J we’re missing out.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sounds of the drunk guys ( sad and funny...I agree). It also sounds and looks like the area is really pretty...i hope the trip to the beach is fun!
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Bridget! Love the drunk guy photo--sad, but funny...it is true. Loads of rain. Hope the beach is great.

    Cheers

    Kelle

    ReplyDelete